I have been trying and trying to perfect my homemade biscuits and I finally figured out what my problem has been all along. Are you ready for this secret? I mean it really is a secret.
The secret to delicious fluffy biscuits is this: DO NOT OVERWORK THE DOUGH!
And I mean that with all simplicity that it says. You barely mess with the dough and you will have mouth watering biscuits that look this delish! These go great with my delicious Homemade Gravy and Home Fries.
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 3 TBSP shortening
- 1 cup milk
- Put flour in a bowl.
- Add shortening.
- Mix those two together barely.
- Add milk.
- Stir with a fork just until blended. (dough will be sticky)
- Flour surface and scoop dough out onto floured surface.
- Sprinkle dough with a little more flour and begin to knead a couple of times until dough is covered with flour and no longer sticky.
- Roll dough out lightly (do not press) to ½-1" thick and cut biscuits.
- Cook in over on 450 degrees for about 8-10 minutes.
- Turn oven to broil to brown biscuits on top.
- Brush with melted butter.
Making biscuits can be tedious and if not done correctly, they will be hard as rocks! So here is a tip that I learned — you can use your rolling pin, but hands work best as you will not press them down too much and they will wind up super fluffy!