If you are my friend on Facebook, you know I have been looking for a recipe to make gingerbread men without molasses, cause frankly, molasses are just NASTY! Anyway, this past week, I found a recipe that is just delicious! It uses butterscotch pudding instead. Here is our result:
They turned out really good—without icing! Here is the recipe:
- 1 (3.5 ounce) package cook and serve butterscotch pudding mix
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, cream together the dry butterscotch pudding mix, butter, and brown sugar until smooth. Stir in the egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, and cinnamon; stir into the pudding mixture. Cover, and chill dough until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease baking sheets. On a floured board, roll dough out to about ⅛ inch thickness, and cut into man shapes using a cookie cutter. Place cookies 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until cookies are golden at the edges. Cool on wire racks.
You can use my Royal Icing recipe that is found here to decorate them with if you want.