I have to say that I am quite proud of my loaf of honey wheat bread that I made today! It turned out so pretty and actually looked like bread! LOL
Honey Wheat Bread
- 2 packages regular active dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm water (105°F to 115°F)
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2½ cups very warm water (120°F to 130°F)
- 4½ cups Gold Medal® whole wheat flour
- 2¾ to 3¾ cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- In large bowl, dissolve yeast in ¼ cup warm water. Add honey, butter, salt, 2½ cups very warm water and 3 cups of the whole wheat flour. Beat with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl frequently. Beat in remaining 1½ cups whole wheat flour.
- With spoon, stir in 2¼ to 2¾ cups of the all-purpose flour until dough pulls cleanly away from side of bowl.
- On lightly floured surface, knead in remaining ½ to 1 cup all-purpose flour; continue kneading 5 to 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and springy. Grease large bowl with shortening or cooking spray; place dough in bowl, turning dough to grease all sides. Cover; let rise in warm place 30 to 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Generously grease 2 (8x4- or 9x5-inch) loaf pans with shortening or cooking spray. Gently push fist into dough to deflate; divide in half. Shape dough into loaves; place in pans. Cover; let rise in warm place 30 to 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Uncover dough; bake 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F; bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped. Immediately remove from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 1 hour.