Making homemade funnel cake is one of our favorite things to do–and it is SO easy! I used to buy the box of premade funnel cake mix at the store, until I found this recipe online. It works wonderfully well and it is so scrumptious. WARNING–this food is not good for dieters. Just looking at it will make you gain ten pounds!
Hope you enjoy!
- 3-4 cups all purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- powdered sugar (for topping)
- vegetable oil (for deep frying - heat to 375 degrees)
- Beat the eggs, then add the sugar and milk. Sift 2 cups of flour, the salt, and the baking powder and add to the milk, sugar, and egg mixture.
- Mix while adding more flour until the batter is smooth and not too thick. The funnel should have an opening of at least ½ inch and be able to hold around a cup of batter. Put your finger over the bottom and add about a cup of batter. Remove your finger and allow the batter to pour into the center of the oil. Be careful, the oil may splash!
- Gradually swirl the batter outward in a circular motion, or criss-cross back and forth to make a cake about 7 or 8 inches round.
- We used to draw our initials to personalize our cakes! Check it with a pair of tongs and turn it when the bottom becomes golden brown.
- When both sides are done, remove with tongs and let it drip on a paper towel.
- Take powdered sugar and sprinkle over the top after it has drained.