Last year, when my tomato bounty was so plentiful, I was looking for things to make and ran upon a homemade spaghetti sauce mix. This is HANDS DOWN, the best way to make spaghetti sauce.
Yes it takes a while.
Yes your kitchen will get a little warm.
But ya know what?
Your stomach and your spaghetti noodles will thank you over and over again for this delicious sauce!
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup celery, finely chopped
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 16-ounce can tomato sauce
- 4 cups fresh tomatoes, diced
- ½ tablespoon oregano
- ½ tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6-ounce can tomato paste
- ½ cup fresh mushrooms, chopped (optional)
- 1 medium carrot, grated (optional)
- ½ cup black olives, chopped (optional)
- In a large pot, sauté garlic, onion and celery over medium heat.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for three hours. Serve over pasta.
This spaghetti sauce goes great with my homemade noodles and delicious mouthwatering meatballs. Now, when you make a delicious pasta meal for friends or family members, you can tell them that every single portion of it is homemade.
Have you ever tried to make your own sauces? How did they turn out?