This month for the Crazy Cooking Challenge, we were challenged to find the ultimate chocolate cake recipe. Now — I am one for simplicity and yet I love making things homemade so I went looking for a cake that included both of those elements.
I just happened to need a dessert the other night for dinner and I was craving chocolate so I knew it would be a perfect time to make my recipe. I found exactly what I was looking for at Life as a Lofthouse. Chocolate. Crockpot. Lava — nuff said, right?
This cake was absolutely to do die for! It was so moist and delicious and for the first time, there was no fussing over it. While I was busy working, my cake was cooking. No forgotten timer, no over cooking the cake. It just bakes away in the crockpot!
You. will. want. to. fix. this. cake.
- 2 cups Brown Sugar
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 6 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Milk
- 4 Tablespoons Butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1½ cups Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 3 cups Boiling Water
- Mix together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Stir in milk, melted butter and vanilla until combined. Spread the batter over the bottom of a large crockpot.
- Mix together the brown sugar and cocoa. Sprinkle mixture over the cake batter.
- Pour the boiling water over the top. DO NOT STIR! Cover and cook on High for 2 - 2½ hours.
- Cake will be very hot! Turn off heat, and remove lid. Let sit 20-30 minutes before serving
The thing that I love about crockpot cakes is simple — you don’t have to do a lot of work with it. Just throw it in and voila! CAKE in a couple of hours.
What is your favorite crockpot dessert?