I have been trying to fix homemade mexican rice like you get in a Mexican restaurant FOREVER — and I finally found the right recipe for it. Marcela from Mexican Made Easy really opened my eyes on how to make your rice fluffy and get it to taste like the delicious rice at my favorite Mexican restaurant.
Looking for more easy recipes? Check out my huge database of delicious, homemade goodies.
Now my meal can be complete.
I can serve this rice with any of my delicious Mexican dishes like Chicken Verde Casserole, Mango Salsa Chicken, Roasted Pork Tacos, or homemade chips and salsa.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- ½ cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2¼ cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil on medium-high heat. Add the rice, onions and garlic.
- Saute until the rice has an opaque color and is fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, tomato paste and salt. Mix well to incorporate evenly.
- Then add in the jalapeno pepper and cilantro.
- Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until rice is ready, about 30 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and serve immediately.
Rice is an essential side dish when fixing a Mexican meal for your family. If you are really up for a challenge, why not create a Mexican theme night and make it a family fun night?
- Watch a movie like Nacho Libre (one of our favorite movies ever!)
- Make string art
- Do a Mexican hat dance and act silly with your family
- and then serve a delicious Mexican meal to round out the night!
All of these things I have done with my own family — especially when we have studied those countries for school!
What is your favorite Mexican cuisine?