I love meals that can be prepped in advance and thrown in the oven at a moment’s notice. This is one of those meals. You can serve this Sausage Breakfast Casserole for breakfast, lunch, dinner, brunch — whenever you want.
Looking for more easy recipes? Check out my huge database of delicious, homemade goodies.
- 16 oz. package hot pork breakfast sausage
- 10 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups cubed bread
- 4 oz. (1 cup) shredded pepper jack cheese
- 4 oz. (1 cup) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, mustard and salt; stir well.
- Distribute half the bread evenly in a buttered 9″ x 13″ x 2″ baking dish or you can use a cast iron skillet. Sprinkle with half the pepper, half the cheese, and half the sausage. Repeat layering using remaining bread, pepper, cheese, and sausage. Pour egg mixture evenly over casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 60 minutes, or until eggs are set. Tent with foil if the top begins to brown too quickly.
- NOTE: May be assembled ahead and refrigerated up to 12 hours before baking.