I made a new pie this year for Christmas and was totally excited that it actually came out extremely delicious! 🙂 Stephen was craving a Coconut Cream pie and even though I had never made one before, I was pretty sure that it would come out looking good, and hopefully tasting just as good.
Looking for more easy recipes? Check out my huge database of delicious, homemade goodies.
Ginger on Gilligan’s Island would be super proud of me! 🙂
- 1 baked 9-inch pastry shell
- 2¼ cups whole milk
- ¾ cup sugar, plus ¼ cup for the egg whites
- 3 eggs, separated
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1¾ cups toasted coconut (saving a little of it for the top of the pie)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a saucepan, whisk the 2 cups of the milk and ¾ cup sugar together.
- Place the pan over medium heat and bring the liquid up to a simmer. Whisk the egg yolks together. Temper the hot milk into the egg yolks.
- Whisk the egg mixture into the hot milk mixture. In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining milk, making a slurry.
- Whisk the slurry into the hot milk mixture. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook the mixture, stirring constantly, until the filling is thick, about 4 to 6 minutes. Fold in the vanilla, coconut, and butter. Mix well.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pan and cool the pie completely.
- Using an electric mixer with a whip attachment, whip the egg white to soft peaks. Add the remaining sugar and whip the egg white to stiff peaks.
- Spread the egg whites over the top of the pie.
- Sprinkle a little of the toasted coconut on top of the pie.
- Place the pie in the oven for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until the meringue is golden brown.
Have you ever made a coconut Cream Pie?