One of my new favorite dishes to eat is orzo. This little bitty pasta can be used in any kind of recipe. You can use it in salads like this Tomatoes and Orzo recipe I made, or you can use it in soups and stews (I have a recipe coming soon for a Chicken Orzo Soup that you are just going to FLIP over). Today though, I wanted to share with you my new take — Cheesy Orzo Pasta.
This dish is hearty enough you can eat it alone, or if you want to bump it up, you can add chicken to it, or any kind of meat your heart desires.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cans (14 ounces) chicken stock
- 2 cups orzo pasta
- ½ cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- ½ grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat an 8 inch pot with a tight fitting cover over moderate heat.
- Add oil, onion and garlic and saute for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add broth to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Stir in orzo and return broth to a boil.
- Cover pot and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until liquid is absorbed and pasta tender.
- Remove lid and stir in cheeses. Season with salt and pepper to your taste. Add in parsley.
This recipe is SO yummy and so easy to make. I am a big pasta girl, so anytime I can make a comfort dish like this — I am definitely going to do it.
Plus — if you are tired of mac and cheese, this is the more elegant version 🙂
What are your favorite pasta dishes?