This post is part of the SPLENDA® 365 SWEET SWAPS™ Blogger Program by McNeil Nutritionals, LLC and The Motherhood, who sent me products and compensated me for my time. Opinions, experiences and photos shared here are my own, and I hope you enjoy them.
One thing about Christmas morning around here is that I make a BIG spread for breakfast. I start the night before and make a delicious sausage and egg casserole, homemade candied bacon, and my delicious homemade cinnamon rolls. This year, I decided to to use Splenda and give my very decadent cinnamon rolls a #sweetswaps switch.
Before I could even get these delicious rolls out of the oven, my family was trying to steal them out of the pan — and you’d never know I swapped sugar for a SPLENDA® Sweetener Product. It’s a smart and delicious way to reduce the added sugar and calories in recipes!
I have been trying to find ways to cut my sugar intake and after reading this — I am definitely going to work harder at it.
The average American consumes more than 22 teaspoons of added sugar a day — TRIPLE the recommended amount for women and DOUBLE the recommended amount for men.
You can use SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener in just about any way you want to. Check out www.365SweetSwaps.com for 365 ways to swap sugar for SPLENDA® Sweetener Products and tips and recipes to help you save calories from added sugar!
Here is how you can make these amazing cinnamon rolls —
Start by mixing together your milk, sugar, and oil, and heat on the stove until warm. Set is aside to cool and then add in your yeast on top. Let it sit for a minute.
After it has set for a minute, add in 4 cups of flour and mix together until just combined and then cover with a towel in a warm place and allow it to set for 1 hour.
After 1 hour, remove the towel and add your baking powder, baking soda, and salt and 1 more cup of flour. Mix together and then dump your dough out on to a floured surface. Knead a couple of times and then separate the dough into 2 pieces.
Next, take each piece of dough and roll it out into a 1/4″ thick rectangle like shape. Once you do that, drizzle melted butter over the top and then sprinkle on your sugar. For me, I used both the brown sugar and regular sugar blends from Splenda.
Then sprinkle on your cinnamon(I like a lot of cinnamon in mine). Once you do that, roll up the dough and slice into 1″ wide cinnamon rolls and place in a 9×13 pan. Be sure to give them space so that when they begin cooking, they have room to expand and rise.
Be sure to add some melted butter to the bottom of the pan. Cover them at this point and let them rest for 20 minutes. Then place them in a 375 degree oven for about 15-18 minutes.
When they come out, make a mixture of Cinnamon Roll icing — 3 cups of confectioner sugar, 3 tablespoons of milk, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. Mix it together and then pour all over your cinnamon rolls.
- 2 cups of Whole Milk
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil
- ½ cup Splenda Sugar Blend
- 1 package Active Dry Yeast
- 5 cups All-purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon (heaping) Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon (scant) Baking Soda
- ½ Tablespoon (heaping) Salt
- Plenty Of Melted Butter
- ½ cup Splenda Sugar Blend
- ½ cup of Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
- Generous Sprinkling Of Cinnamon
- Vanilla Frosting:
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons of milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- For the dough
- Heat the milk, vegetable oil, and the Splenda sugar blend in a medium saucepan over medium heat to just below a boil. Set aside and cool to warm. Sprinkle the yeast on top and let it sit on the milk for 1 minute.
- Add 4 cups of the flour. Stir until just combined, then cover with a clean kitchen towel, and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour. After 1 hour, remove the towel and add the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and the remaining 1 cup flour.
- Stir thoroughly to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- To assemble the rolls, remove half the dough from the bowl. On a floured baking surface, roll the dough into a large rectangle.
- To make the filling, pour ½ cup to 1 cup of the melted butter over the surface of the dough. Use your fingers to spread the butter evenly. Generously sprinkle half of the ground cinnamon and the ½ cup of brown sugar and regular sugar Splenda Blend over the butter. Don’t be afraid to drizzle on more butter or more sugar!
- Now, beginning at the end farthest from you, roll the rectangle tightly towards you. Use both hands and work slowly, being careful to keep the roll tight. Some of your filling may ooze out. That is okay.
- When you reach the end, pinch the seam together and flip the roll so that the seam is face down.
- With a sharp knife, make ½-inch slices. One “log “will produce 20 to 25 rolls. Pour a couple of teaspoons of melted butter into a 9x13 pan and swirl to coat. Place the sliced rolls in the pan, being careful not to overcrowd.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Cover the pan with a kitchen towel and set aside to rise on the countertop for at least 20 minutes before baking. Remove the towel and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until golden brown.
- While the rolls are baking, make the icing: In a large bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Whisk until very smooth. Taste and add in more ingredients as needed until the icing reaches the desired consistency. The icing should be somewhat thick but still very pourable.
- Remove pan from the oven. Immediately drizzle icing over the top. Be sure to get it all around the edges and over the top. As they sit, the rolls will absorb some of the icing’s moisture and flavor.
Connect with SPLENDA:
Which of your special holiday recipes would you like to try with a SPLENDA Sweet Swaps matchup?