This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SimplySteamed #CollectiveBias
Today, Kayla and I baked cookies all. day. long. I think I wound up making like 10 dozen cookies of two different kinds. Of course, you have to taste test each batch, so by the time the 9th dozen rolled around, I was quite sick of sweets.
That afternoon, I decided to fix a yummy meal for us that was both lighter in taste and lower in carbs– which is good considering all the cookie dough I had just ingested. That is how I came up with this Greek Quinoa Salad – the perfect pairing to go with a Healthy Choice® Simply Cafe Steamers®.
I went grocery shopping at Krogers the other day because I had a coupon for $1 off a Healthy Choice® Simply Cafe Steamers® (click that link and you can get one too!), and I needed a few other things, so I headed to the store.
They had several choices to choose from, but the Grilled Chicken Pesto and Vegetables sounded SO good, so I grabbed two of them. I knew with us making cookies the next day that we were going to want something better tasting.
You can choose from:
- Healthy Choice Simply Meatball Marinara 10 OZ
- Healthy Choice Simply Chicken Fried Rice 10 OZ
- Healthy Choice Simply Chicken & Vegetable Stir Fry 10 OZ
- Healthy Choice Simply Grilled Chicken Pesto & Vegetables 10 OZ
- Healthy Choice Simply Grilled Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo 10 OZ
- Healthy Choice Simply Lemon Herb Chicken 10 OZ
Now — I have gotten to where I LOVE quinoa. It is one of my favorite grains and there are so many ways you can dress it up. You can buy plain, but if you are pressed for time, they sell all kinds of premixed flavor boxes at the store. That is what I used for this dish. It already had a zesty lemon flavor pack so all I did was a add a few of my favorites to the mix for the ultimate salad.
If you have never cooked with quinoa, all you have to do is get the kind that is pre-rinsed. It cooks up the fastest with the least amount of work involved.
So — you cook your quinoa according to package directions. Then, I place it on a plate to cool in the freezer for about 5-7 minutes.
This way, it does not melt the feta cheese you are going to be adding.
Then, I add in my Greek favorites — olives (I left these out this time because my daughter hates them, but normally I have them in my salad), tomatoes, red onion or green onion, feta cheese, and then a Greek dressing which you can also pick up at the store.
Mix it all together and then serve it alongside your Healthy Choice® Simply Cafe Steamers®.
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ of red onion, diced
- 1 tub of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 can of sliced black olives
- 1 tub of Feta Cheese
- ½ -1 cup of greek vinagrette dressing
- Take your cooked quinoa and place in a bowl. Set it in the refrigerator until it cools off so you don't melt your cheese.
- Zest your lemon first and set the zest aside. Cut open your lemon and squeeze the juice all over your quinoa.
- Add in your zest, red onion, tomatoes, black olives and feta cheese. Season with salt and then pour on your dressing.
- I would start with ½ a cup and taste it before adding the rest.
- Enjoy! This salad will almost a full week in the fridge and gets better the longer it sits.
Full of fresh natural ingredients, these meals will be gracing my freezer this holiday season and all next year!
Doesn’t that steam coming off my delicious dinner make your mouth water? It does mine! It’s freshness you can see and taste. And the best part? It’s perfect for the low carb lifestyle.
If you are heading out, don’t forget to grab your $1 off coupon. You have until the 13th to print them and then they expire on the 20th, so don’t wait!
Which meal would you want to try?