My husband and I are always taking road trips and adventures. We decided that because we were taking so many road trips, we needed to do some things to save money. Here are 5 ways that we are making that happen.
5 Ways to Save Money on Your Next Road Trip
- Purchase a Fuel Efficient Car – When you purchase a fuel efficient car, you can get more miles on a tank of gas. A couple of years ago I traded in my van for a car that gets 36 miles to the gallon!
- Don’t Brake Excessively – Braking a lot not only causes your brake pads to wear out quickly, but it also wastes gas! Stop with plenty of time by lightly pumping your brakes and you’ll improve your car’s efficiency
- Tire Pressure is a Must – If your tires are under-inflated, they will wear out faster AND waste gas. Proper inflation reduces tire friction and gives you better gas mileage.
- Watch Your Speed Limit: Speeding can cause you to use gas faster. Be sure to follow the speed limits set by the highway department.
- Look for Discounts on Gas Purchases – You can pay a lot less for gallon if you get a discount on every gallon you purchase. Use a loyalty program like the one at Hy-Vee and save even more with the current offer running right now! Check out the details below!
If you visit your local Hy-Vee store now through April 18, 2017, you can score a great gas deal and earn 10 cents off per gallon with every $25 purchase of select gift cards or earn 20 cents off per gallon with every $50 purchase of select gift cards.
On a recent road trip with my husband, I only paid $10 for a whole tank full of gas!
Here’s how it works:
- Find a Hy-Vee Store near you
- Purchase select gift cards and save 10¢ cents on gas for every $25 purchased in gift cards or 20¢ cents every $50purchased
- Participating Gift Cards include: Nike, Xbox, AMC Theaters, Fandango, American Express, Game Stop, Ruby Tuesday, Lane Bryant, Chili’s, Applebees, Michaels, iTunes, Petsmart, Groupon, Carnival
- Take advantage of this offer before it ends on 4/18/2017.
You can make this offer an even better deal by using your favorite rewards credit or debit card to purchase. That way you can earn points, miles or a percentage back on your purchase on top of the great gas savings offer.
Depending on the type of gift cards you choose, you can even use them to buy gasoline, making your savings come full circle! The best part, if you know someone who does a lot of traveling, this would make a great gift to give for the person who travels.
Enter to WIN!
Checkout this reader giveaway where one lucky winner will receive a $50 Visa gift card! For your chance to win, just leave us a comment and complete the entry form below by 11:59pm ET on 4/17/17.