My daughter is a rock star in the kitchen y’all. I am not lying — she is like DA BOMB when it comes to creating sauces, pastas, and more — and that is where today’s recipe comes from. She made the most amazing cream sauce the other day that we poured over our baked chicken. It was absolutely delicious!
We have been finding ways to use up our herbs and stuff lately, so she went out to the garden and grabbed some fresh sage and rosemary and came in the house and pulled out her cutting board.
Her sauce ingredients are super duper simple and when it comes together, it is simply amazing!
The fun thing about this sauce is that everything is eyeballed. If you want it more garlic tasting — simply add more garlic. If you want it to have more of a lemon flavor, add more lemon juice. If you want it hotter, simply add more crushed red pepper.
Or if you want it less than what I share, simply add less.
I used some easy spices to bake the chicken in which also gave it a great flavor. Garlic Powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper. You will never fix chicken any other way ever again — seriously.
After the chicken is done, simply put your butter in a skillet, let it melt, then add in your herbs, lemon zest, garlic, salt, and pepper and let it bubble together and get delicious.
Your kitchen will smell so good at this point.
Then once those have had a chance to cook for a bit, add in your heavy cream and lemon juice. Your mouth will immediately start watering.
After that, let it bubble for a bit and reduce down some. It will start to get thick and then you simply pour it right over your baked chicken.
Seriously — you need to go and back this sauce tonight. You will love it! We wanted to lick our plates afterwards, but we refrained because that is just not lady like y’all 🙂
Here is the recipe — Hope you enjoy it!
For the Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
For the Sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Sage cut into ribbons
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Chicken
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Pound chicken breasts lightly so they are of even thickness.
- Pour olive oil in a 13" x 9" baking dish. Lightly dredge the chicken through to coat it, then place chicken breasts side by side in the dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder. Sprinkle the seasoning mixture over both sides of the chicken and rub it in with your hands. Place chicken breasts side by side, making sure there is no overlap.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until juices are clear or a meat thermometer reads 160-170 degrees.
- Cover with foil and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes while the juices settle before slicing.
- Set chicken aside while you make the delicious sauce!
For the Sauce
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Add in your garlic, rosemary, sage, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and zest of lemon.
- Allow it to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in your heavy cream and lemon juice and allow it to cook until the sauce thicken a bit -- 2-3 minutes.
- Take sauce and pour over the top of your chicken breasts.