Since I have been trying my hand at cooking from scratch, I decided to try making a fresh Blackberry pie. I love Apple Pie, and Peach Pie, but didn’t have any of those fruits on hand. I love blackberries, so I purchased some and brought them home! It’s a wonder I had any left to fix a pie with because my blackberry bandit (aka Kayla) kept on eating them!
It turned out delicious, so I thought I would share the recipe with you! Hope you enjoy!
- 2 cups of All Purpose Flour
- ¾ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup shortening
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1 recipe for a Double Crust pastry dough
- 4 cups of fresh blackberries
- 3 tablespoons of All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup White sugar
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp butter
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half so that one ball is slightly larger than the other. Roll out larger ball to fit in a 9 or 10 in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine berries, flour, sugar, and lemon juice. Spoon into pie shell and dot with butter or margarine.
- Roll out second ball. Position over filling; cut slits into pastry. Trim pastry to 1" beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top crust over bottom crust. Flute edges.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees. Continue baking for 35 to 40 minutes or until browned.
- ( I made an egg wash of 1 egg and 2 tbsp of water mixed together and brushed the top of my pie crust after the 15 minutes at 450 so that it would be shiny brown.)
Be sure to check out my other pie recipes on my site. You will find yummy pies in flavors like Apple, French Silk, and more.
Hope you all enjoy!