My Blueberry Cream Cheese Pinwheels recipe was created for #SummerDessertWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.
It’s day 2 of summer dessert week and today I have an amazing recipe for you that is the perfect balance of sweet and salty. This dessert may look over the top sweet, but with the addition of the puff pastry, every bite of my Blueberry Cream Cheese Pinwheels will have you drooling.
If you missed yesterday’s recipe, you can click here to get my Rustic Cherry Galette.
One day I went over to the local donut shop to pick up some apple fritters for my mother in law. That was when I noticed this amazing dessert sitting on the counter. I asked the lady what it was and she said they had been playing around with flavors and had created a blueberry pinwheel.
I thought to myself, “I can totally make that for summer dessert week”, so I set out to do that and guess what– I did?
How to Make Blueberry Cream Cheese Pinwheels
To start off, you need to thaw your puff pastry and cut it into squares and then into triangles. One sheet is enough to do one pastry.
Once you get all your squares cut, then you are going to preheat your oven to 400 degrees and layer the triangles on top of each other to create a pinwheel effect.
Once they get done cooking, they should all be hooked together and the center should have a dip in it.
To make the cream cheese mixture, you add 1 block of cream cheese to 1/4 to 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. If you want it sweeter, just keep adding powdered sugar until you get it the sweet you want it.
Then, with a little milk, thin the cream cheese mixture out a bit until it is creamy — but still thick enough to hold its shape. You will have to be the judge of this. Just eyeball it.
Set this aside while the puff pastry cools.
Now — let’s work on that blueberry sauce. It’s a simple sauce of blueberries, water, and my favorite – Dixie Crystals Pure Cane Sugar.
Of course, what really makes this dish so amazing are the Rainier Fruit Organic Blueberries. These are the heartiest blueberries I have ever tasted in my life.
In the pan, place the blueberries, sugar, water, and my favorite spice — Adams Vanilla Extract for that extra kick of flavor.
Then you are going to allow your blueberries to bust open and create this delicious deep blue color and flavor.
While the blueberries are cooking, take your puff pastry and pile the cream cheese all on top of the puff pastry. You can smear it out up the pinwheels if you want, or you can leave it piled right into the middle.
Once the blueberry sauce is done, remove from the heat and drizzle on top of the cream cheese mixture. The heat from the sauce will help soften any hard cream cheese you have going on.
Now — you are going to finish it off with a dusting of powdered sugar. It is pure perfection I tell you. We finished off 2 of these during dinner the other night — and had enough left to make a third one 3 nights later!
- 1 package, 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup of Dixie Crystals Powdered Sugar
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup Rainier Fruit Organic Blueberries
- 1 package, 17.3 oz frozen puff pastry sheets (2 sheets), thawed
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the powdered sugar, and milk and beat until combined.
- In a sauce pan, combine the blueberries, sugar vanilla and water. Cook over the heat until the blueberries have popped and the sauce has thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- Lightly flour a work surface and roll out each of the sheets of puff pastry to about a 10-inch square. Cut each piece into 4 rectangles,and then cut those into triangles. Transfer the triangles to the prepared baking sheets, allowing them to lap each other and create a pinwheel effect.
- Using a fork, prick the centers of the triangles of puff pastry, leaving a 1/2” border unpricked around the edges. Bake until done -- about 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Take a spoonful of the cream cheese mixture and place it in the center of each pinwheel of puff pastry, distributing equally among the pieces. Spread over the rectangle, leaving a 1/2” border. Top each with a spoonful of the blueberry mixture, spreading it evenly over the cream cheese layer.
- Now -- dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
Ice Cream Recipes:
- No Churn Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream from Big Bear’s Wife
- No Churn Cherry Crisp Ice Cream from Miss in the Kitchen
- No-Churn Peanut Butter Lovers Ice Cream from Home Sweet Homestead
- No Churn Banana Walnut Ice Cream from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Grilled Pineapple Ring Rum Sundae from Daily Dish Recipes
- Creamy No Churn Peach Ice Cream from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
Pies of Summer:
- Peach Blueberry Galette from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Coconut Key Lime Pie from The Domestic Kitchen
- Berry Cherry Pie from A Blender Mom
Sweet Summertime Cakes:
- Cherry Almond Cake from Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Homemade Angel Food Cake with Sugared Berries from Me and My Pink Mixer
- Cherry Vanilla Poke Cake from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Gooey Nutella Microwave Mug Cake from For the Love of Food
No Bake Treats:
- Churro Bites with Mexican Chocolate Dipping Sauce from Love Bakes Good Cakes
- Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes from The JavaCupcake Blog
- Blueberry Limencello Cobbler from Sweet ReciPeas
- Blueberry Biscuits from Fake Ginger
- Blueberry Crumb Bars from Southern Plate
- Cherry Struesel Muffins from My Baking Heart
- Rustic Cherry Galette from Jen Around the World
- Roasted Cherry Meringue Fool from Cooking In Stilettos
- Cherry Rosemary Cobbler from The Spiffy Cookie
- Cherry Almond Cobbler from Southern From Scratch
Enter to Win!
Welcome to the first #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. We’re so glad that you’ve joined us for this week long event of desserts and giveaways. You’re going to love what we have in store for you.
There are 25 amazing bloggers participating in this year’s event! Throughout the week we’ll be share tons of fantastic summer dessert recipes with you. With over 70 recipes being shared this week we just know that you’re going to find a new summer favorite! Plus, don’t forget that we have 6 (six) great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving one winner a $100 Willimas Sonoma Gift Card OR a $100 Sur la Table! Winner of prize #1 gets to pick which gift card they would like!
Prize #2 — Rainier Fruit is giving one winner a Pie dish, Cherry Pitter, Serving Spatula, Pinch Bowls, Pie Carrier! Everything you need to make the perfect cherry or blueberry pie!
Prize #3– OXO is giving one winner an 8 Piece Glass Bake, Serve & Store Set.
OXO Glass Bakeware is made of thermal shock resistant borosilicate glass, which means it can go from freezer to oven without the need to thaw. The OXO 8 Piece Glass Bake, Serve & Store Set is the perfect partner for all of your baking adventures. The Set includes a Glass 3 Qt Baking Dish, Glass 2 Qt Baking Dish, Glass Loaf Pan, Glass Pie Plate, 1 Cup Round SNAP Container, and 2 Cup Round SNAP Container.
Prize #4 — Adam’s Extract is giving one winner a Pyrex with baking utensils and 4oz Adams Best, 1.5 oz Pure Lemon, Almond, Peppermint and Vanilla.
Prize #5 — General Mills Cereal is giving one winner 4 boxes of cereal, 2 Big G Cereal character bowls, 2 Big G Cereal character , 2 “Good Morning” spoons, 2 Cheerios tumblers with straws 1 long-sleeve Cereal Character hooded t-shirt, 1 short-sleeve Cereal Character t-shirt.
Prize #6 — Land O’Lakes is giving one winner a branded insulated tote with a stainless steel water bottle, two mugs with cocoa mix, a dish towel and coasters.
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older.. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from July 24th until July 30th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterwards and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 6 (six) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 6 (six) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Rainier Fruit, OXO, Adam’s Extract, Land O’Lakes and General Mills Cereal! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.