About two weeks ago, I received a box from HelloFresh that I reviewed here on my site. In the box, I had all the fresh ingredients to make three meals for my family. My favorite of all three though was this one for Chicken and Quinoa Stew.
I had tried quinoa once before and I will be honest, I hated it! I company had sent me packets of their quinoa with a sauce on it and after fixing it and trying it, I swore I would never eat it again.
And then — I was asked to create this meal and give it a try.
There is definitely a difference with fresh quinoa that has been rinsed and the prepackaged crap that they sell at the store, because once I made this stew and tasted it, I became a fan of quinoa for life.
And — it’s good for you!
This meal takes little prep and is done in no time. I can promise that if you make this one, you will definitely want to make it again and again and again.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup of quinoa
- ½ ounce of fresh parsley
- 1 small onion
- 1 zucchini
- 1 whole tomato
- 1 lemon
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 teaspoon of chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Put the stock cubes into a pot with 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Dissolve the stock cubes in the water and leave on the lowest heat possible to keep it warm.
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly in a fine strainer for about 10 minutes. Put it in a pot and add 1 and ½ cups of the stock water and a pinch of salt. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Dice the onion and tomatoes and set both aside in separate piles.
- Slice the zucchini in half and then each half in half. Dice each quarter and then set aside.
- Cut lemon into wedges and set aside.
- Chop the parsley coarsely.
- Heat a pan on medium heat with 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the onions and cook for 3 minutes. Transfer the onions into the broth.
- Add the zucchini to the pan along with the chili flakes. Add the tomatoes and cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Transfer to the broth.
- Cut the chicken into 1" cubes season with salt and pepper and add to the pan, with 1 tablespoon of oil. Cook for 5 minutes or until the juices in the chicken run clear.
- Add the chicken to the broth along with the parsley. Simmer everything together for 5 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and add the salt and pepper if necessary.
- Split the quinoa into 4 bowls, pour the stew into each bowl and serve with lemon wedges.
I can promise you that if you make this dish, you will LOVE it. It is so fresh and so tasty!
What is your favorite kind of stew or soup dish?