Our pets are family to us and, no matter how young or old our pets are, there are certain precautions we have to take as pet owners to keep our animals safe. This means making sure our dog and cats are up to date on their vaccinations, keeping them indoors when they need to be, and not planting toxic plants in our gardens.
Sure, some of the foliage and vegetation we are going to list below are beautiful and we would love to have them around, but the fact of the matter is, there are plants out there that can kill your pets if they eat them. Unfortunately, there is a severe language barrier when it comes to us and the other species of this world, so we have to take extreme measure when protecting our pets, including not keeping toxic substances in their reach.
We realize, for some folks reading this post that the snow is falling heavy and planting a garden is the last thing you want to think about. But, if you keep plants inside, then our list would be worth taking a gander at. If the snow is falling outside your window, and all you can think about is shoveling, then you should get a snow blower, like the ones reviewed at the following link. They work well for smaller jobs and large driveways.
If you are keeping any of these plants in your house or plan on using them in your garden this spring, we hope you will reconsider or keep them far out of your pet’s reach.
There are some lilies that are toxic to cats but they may not have a serious reaction if ingested. Then, there are some that are so poisonous they can kill your jumper. Peace lilies, Peruvian, and Calla Lilies might not have a deadly effect, but when you get to authentic lilies like the Lilium and Hemerocallis. These varieties are sold in their commons names; Tiger Lily, Asiatic, Easter, Japanese Show, and Daylilies.
Just a small amount of an eaten leaf or pollen dust can cause your kitty to have kidney failure. If a house cat drank the water from a vase holding lilies, it’s enough to cause deadly damage. If you think your little buddy ate some part of a lily you need to get them medical attention as soon as possible.
Plants with Spikes
Plants that have protective spikes are not a good idea to keep especially if you have a dog running around your yard. Sure, one stick from a thorn and they might stay away, but the fact is cactus, berry patches, and rose bushes should be in an area where your hound can’t get to. There are also grasses that have barbed seed heads which your dog might eat. If they do, they can start to develop serious health problems after lodging in your pet’s throat. If they hit their eyes or paws that can cause some serious problems too.
This type of plant, which comes in two varieties, bloom in two different seasons. One pops its head up in the fall and the other in the spring. The spring crocuses are the ones that are more common and, if ingested, can cause your pet to vomit or have diarrhea. As bad as that is, the spring crocuses aren’t the more toxic of the two varieties. The fall varieties, which include Meadow Saffron and Colchicum autumnale, are severely toxic to both dogs and cats, and can result in vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding, and organ failure.
This type of plant typically grows in areas of the world that have higher temperatures year round. They can be grown indoors or outdoors, but they are very toxic to pets. Dogs are particularly susceptible to this plant. If they ingest even a small portion it can cause all types of problems like bloody stools, intense vomiting, cause severe damage to the lining of their stomach, and even lead to liver failure or death.
Sago palm is one of the most deadly for dogs and only half of the canines that ingest it actually survive.
Lily of the Valley
This lily deserves a special section all its own because they are very poisonous. Not only are they bad for pets, but children could get sick if they eat them as well. These usually pop up in the early spring. If ingested, they can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lowered heart rate, plus it can also cause cardiac arrhythmias and seizures.
Since a pet-friendly garden is what we are focusing on, we don’t want to leave no stone unturned. Fertilizers and mulches can also be harmful to your pet if they have added chemicals or synthetic substances. We suggest to always get soil, plants, and anything else you might need, free of any toxins. Going organic or all-natural in your garden will always yield greater benefits for you and your four-legged friend.
We love our pets and we do all we can to keep them safe and healthy. When it comes to our gardens it’s imperative that you keep these poisonous types of plants out of your pet’s reach.