I love mozzarella sticks, but I am finding that the ones they sell at the store kind of taste like cardboard–ewww! So here is my delicious recipe for Fried Mozzarella bites.
Anyway, Stephen wanted mozzarella sticks for our New Year’s Eve dinner, so I decided to try making them homemade. I was quite proud of my culinary capabilities when making them.
Here is the recipe. Enjoy!
- Flour for dusting
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of Panko Bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon of Italian Seasoning
- 1 8 ounce block of mozzarella cheese
- Cut your mozzarella block into 1 or 2 inch cubes. Dust each cube with flour.
- Pour Panko bread crumbs into a dish and add a teaspoon of salt and the Italian seasoning. Set aside.
- Crack an egg in a small dish and beat well.
- Dip each mozzi bite into the egg and then roll in panko bread crumbs. Place on a cookie sheet.
- Continue until all bites have been coated and placed on the cookie sheet. Place cookie sheet in the freezer for about three hours so that the bites freeze well. (This step is important so that your cheese does not fall apart during the frying process).
- After freezing, heat oil in a deep pan (about 3 inches thick). Once oil is at the right temperature, place three or four bites in at a time, allow them to fry for about 2-3 minutes (watch them very carefully) and then remove them to a paper towel to drain. Continue in this fashion until all the bites have been fried.
To make the marinara sauce pictured above, just visit this link where I shared my pizza recipe–homemade sauce!
These taste so much better than store bought and I am sure these will be a staple in our household for years to come!