I will totally admit that I am a Food Network junkie. I watch it most of the day (or it is on in the background while I work). Many of my favorite recipes have come from that channel like this one from The Neely’s — Mac and Cheese with Crunchy Bacon Topping.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk warm
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dash salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Dash hot sauce
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar
- 1 pound cavatappi pasta cooked al dente
- 1 cup crushed potato chips
- 5 slices cooked bacon crumbled
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan for topping
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Melt6 tablespoons butter in a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in the warmed milk and bring to a boil, continue to whisk constantly. The mixture will thicken as the heat increases. Continue to stir while adding
the dry mustard, nutmeg, cayenne, salt, pepper, hot sauce and Worcestershire. Stir in the 3 cups of Cheddar until it melts.
Pour the cheese sauce over the noodles and add to a 3 quart casserole dish.
Sprinkle the chips, bacon and Parmesan on top and bake for 35 minutes.
I love finding recipes for food I would not normally fix. Everyone in my family LOVED this and it was a great dish to fix for the holidays.