Since I have been trying my hand at cooking from scratch, I decided to try making a fresh Blackberry pie. I love Apple Pie, and Peach Pie, but didn’t have any of those fruits on hand. I love blackberries, so I purchased some and brought them home! It’s a wonder I had any left to fix a pie with because my blackberry bandit (aka Kayla) kept on eating them!
It turned out delicious, so I thought I would share the recipe with you! Hope you enjoy!
Pastry For Double Crust Pie
- 2 cups of All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1 recipe for a Double Crust pastry dough
- 4 cups of fresh blackberries
- 3 tablespoons of All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup White sugar
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp butter
For the Crust
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half so that one ball is slightly larger than the other. Roll out larger ball to fit in a 9 or 10 in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine berries, flour, sugar, and lemon juice. Spoon into pie shell and dot with butter or margarine.
- Roll out second ball. Position over filling; cut slits into pastry. Trim pastry to 1" beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top crust over bottom crust. Flute edges.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees. Continue baking for 35 to 40 minutes or until browned.
- ( I made an egg wash of 1 egg and 2 tbsp of water mixed together and brushed the top of my pie crust after the 15 minutes at 450 so that it would be shiny brown.)
Hope you all enjoy!