One of my all time favorite salads is Broccoli Salad. I usually make this when I am trying to clean out my refrigerator. It is a great way to get rid of veggies that are almost at the end of their life span and you can add in other things as well.
To add crunch to this salad, I used a cup of trail mix we had leftover from our last trip. It has pepita seeds, sunflower seeds, golden raisins, dried cranberries, and almonds in it. I just took the almonds out so all of my bites were the same size.
You can also just use some dried cranberries and sunflower seeds if you want.
- Salad Ingredients:
- 3-4 crowns broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup fresh parmesean cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 cup of sunflower seed/cranberry trail mix, Kroger has the perfect combo bag of this
- For the dressing:
- 1 cup mayonnaise with olive oil
- 1/4 cup agave nectar, but you can use sugar if you like
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Chop Broccoli (either in food processor, or old-fashioned way). Place in large bowl. Add cheese, onion and trail mix. Set aside.
- In small bowl whisk together mayo, agave nectar and vinegar until smooth.
- Pour dressing over the broccoli mixture and stir until thoroughly coated. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
This salad can be made up really quickly and holds up well to be left in the refrigerator all day. This would make a great potluck or picnic dish.
As you may notice in the picture, there is not a lot of extra dressing. I don't like really saturated salads, so I go light on the dressing.
It creates more while it sits in the fridge, so don't over dress it when you make it.
What type of pantry recipes have you created recently?