Lady Behind the Curtain is starting a new link up every month that is a dessert challenge. I am all for a challenge, especially if it involves food. Our challenge this month was to make a dessert using Cherries and Chocolate. That was a no brainer for me. I love ice cream, so I gathered my ingredients so I could make some homemade Chocolate Cherry Ice cream.
Looking for more easy recipes? Check out my huge database of delicious, homemade goodies.
- 2 1/4 c. whole milk
- 1 c. sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2/3 c. cherry juice from the bag of frozen cherries
- 2/3 c. half and half
- 1 1/2 c. thawed frozen cherries, roughly chopped
- 1 c. bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- Heat the milk and pinch of salt in a 2 qt. saucepan over medium-high heat until scalded. In a separate bowl, beat the sugar and egg yolks together until thick and smooth.
- Whisk a little of the hot milk into the sugar and yolk mixture to temper the eggs, and then very slowly add the rest, whisking continuously. Pour the egg, milk and sugar mixture back into the pan, and cook over medium- high heat, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon, until the custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon (about 5-7minutes).
- Pour the custard mixture into a bowl and allow it to cool at room temperature before placing in the refrigerator.
- When the custard is completely chilled, stir in the half and half and the cherry juice, reserving the cherries. Refrigerate overnight.
- Freeze custard in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Add the cherries and chocolate pieces when the ice cream is frozen to a soft consistency. Transfer to a container and continue freezing in the freezer for 4-5 hours before serving.
I have been using my ice cream maker more and more. I love experimenting and making new flavors.
What would be your favorite flavor of homemade ice cream?
Check out the other bloggers in the dessert challenge!