If you are anything like me, you are just as concerned about keeping your house tip-top as you are about keeping the dinner and drinks ready when it comes to guests visiting for the holidays. Luckily I have a DIY gold leaf wall decor idea to the rescue.
Getting crafty with gold leaf has become one of my new favorite things about the holidays. And apparently, the idea I am about to share has a lot of bling.
So are you ready to play with gold?
Add a gold twist to your existing crown molding to get your home ready for the holiday season.
Things you’ll need
- Edible gold leaf? Yes, you read it right! Edible gold leaf sheets can be used for gilding.
- Cleaning Solution
- Gilding adhesive
- Adhesive brush
- Clean paintbrush
- Petroleum jelly
- Cotton pads
- Lay down a drop cloth under the area where you plan to work.
- Set up a ladder to reach your crown moldings and wipe them with a rag dampened in a weak solution of all-purpose cleaner and water.
- Allow them to dry completely.
- Take a clean trim paintbrush and apply a thin layer of gilding adhesive on the crown moldings. The adhesive remains sticky up to an hour, so work in sections small enough to complete before the glue dries completely.
- Take a cotton pad and lightly dab it with petroleum jelly. Then, pick the gold leaf sheets with the cotton pads. The jelly will hold the leaf so that you can position it on the molding.
- Now gently place the leaf on the molding, and make sure you edge it into position before completely releasing it. Then use a cotton pad to press the leaf efficiently into the details of the molding.
- Gently smooth out the leaf with a clean, straight trim brush. Brush the entire area again to strengthen the adhesive bond further and give a warm, clean glow to the moldings.
- Wherever the molding surface is showing through, add smaller pieces of leaf if needed.
- If you want to preserve your gold from developing a patina, add a clear coat of acrylic to the moldings after applying the leaf.
- Don’t carry out the procedure alone, ask for help. It will make the process easier.
- Close the windows and switch the fans off to prevent the delicate gold leaf from blowing away.
- If you need something sassy to match up your shiny gold crown molding, you can buy gold wall decor online.
- Keep children away from cleaning solutions and ladder.
- As with any kind of task performed on a ladder, be careful and use proper safety precautions. Do not overreach and keep your body centered between the side rails. Do not stand above the second step from the top. You may lose your balance and fall.
- Wear shoes that are slip resistant.
- Wear a toolbelt and put your tools and gilding materials in it.
Important Things to Know About Working With Gold Leaf
- The most important thing to keep in mind while working with gold leaf sheet is that it is extremely delicate. They are very fragile and can tear, wrinkle or blow away if not handled carefully.
- The leaf should not be touched with one’s hand because it can easily stick to the fingers and become unusable. Wear cotton gloves when working with gold leaf to avoid getting it on your hands.
- While applying the leaf, don’t breathe too heavily onto it, as it can easily wrinkle up.
Are you planning to go gold with something else this holiday season? Let us know in the comment section below. We’d love to hear from you!