I am not one for paying for rolls at the grocery store. I like to make my own at home. Yes — buying them at the store is a lot easier, but if you have a few extra moments one day at home, why not make a batch and then freeze them to use whenever you need some bread? Here is my recipe for Easy Yeast Rolls.
Looking for more easy recipes? Check out my huge database of delicious, homemade goodies.
I love making homemade bread from scratch. If you want your home smelling delicious and your hunny and kids to love you for life — make some. I am serious 🙂
- 4 cups Milk
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil
- 9 cups Flour
- 2 packages, 4 1/2 Tsp. Active Dry Yeast
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Tablespoons Salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of water
- Pour 4 cups of milk into a pot. Add one cup of sugar and 1 cup of vegetable oil. Stir to combine. Turn the burner on medium to medium-low and heat the mixture until it is lukewarm (between 90 and 110 degrees).
- Before the mixture boils, turn off the heat. Let the milk mixture set for a bit. Take a thermometer and check to see if it is between 90 and 110 degrees.
- When the mixture is the right temperature add in 4 cups of flour and 2 packages of (4-1/2 teaspoons) of active dry yeast. After the yeast and flour are fully incorporated, add another 4 cups of flour. Stir together and allow to sit, covered with a tea towel or lid, for an hour.
- After about an hour it should have almost doubled in size. If it hasn’t changed much, put it in a warm (but turned off ) oven for 45 minutes or so.
- When it has risen and doubled in size add 1 more cup of flour, 1 heaping teaspoon of baking powder, 1 scant teaspoon of baking soda and about 2 tablespoons of salt. Stir or knead the dough until combined.
- Butter 2 muffin pans. Form the rolls by pinching off a walnut sized piece of dough and rolling it into a little ball. Repeat and tuck three balls of dough into each buttered muffin cup. Continue until pan is full. Cover and allow to rise for about 1 to 2 hours.
- Create your egg wash and brush the tops of the rolls before placing in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and bake until golden brown, about 17 to 20 minutes.
It seems really long and tedious, but I am telling you — you will NOT buy another package of rolls from the store when you see how easy this is.