Last week we had a pie contest at church. I honestly was sick and tired of boring apple and peach pies, so Kayla and I decided to kick up the pie baking a notch and we made a delicious French Silk Pie. Honestly — it’s the first time I ever made one.
This pie was SO easy to make and does not require any cooking time (except for the pastry crust). Kayla and I were so proud. People even thought it was store bought it looked that good!
Here is the recipe. Oh — and if you want to know how easy it is to make — my 15 year old made one all by herself yesterday. Told ya! Easy peasy.
- 4 ounces, weight Unsweetened Baking Chocolate
- 1 cup Salted Butter, Softened
- 1-1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 4 whole Eggs
- 1 package Baked Pie Shell
- Whipped topping for decorations
- Semi-sweet chocolate baking chocolate for shavings
- In small microwave safe bowl melt 4 ounces of unsweetened baking chocolate until melted (about 45 seconds on high). Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer beat 1 cup (2 sticks) of regular (salted) butter and 1 ½ cups of white sugar until fluffy (about 1 to 2 minutes).
- When melted chocolate is cooled, pour all of it over the butter/sugar mixture. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Beat the mixture thoroughly until combined.
- Turn your mixer to a medium speed and over a period of 15 to 20 minutes add in the four eggs, one at a time, leaving about 5 minutes between each egg addition.
- Once the pie filling is mixed together well (meaning not grainy from the sugar), pour it into the baked pie shell, scraping down all sides of the bowl. Be sure to leave a tiny bit in so you can lick some 🙂
- Smooth out the pie filling and place pie in the freezer to chill for at least 20 to 30 minutes.
- Prepare whipped topping according to decorations and decorate the top of your pie.
- Create chocolate curls using a vegetable peeler and a block of chocolate, and then grate chocolate for the top.
- Place in refrigerator until ready to serve
This is my new favorite all time pie recipe. Even though it did not win the competition, just knowing that MY pie plate was licked clean that night was enough of a win for me.
What is your favorite pie recipe?