Kayla and I started making Fried Apple Pies years ago after we visited the apple orchard one time. I think she was in Kindergarten. We had purchased one to share and immediately fell in love with the taste and texture of a fried apple pie.
I looked around and found several recipes, tried them out, and then used those to create my own version. We love these any time of the year and they are super quick to make up!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 apples
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- Peel and dice apples. Add sugar and cinnamon. Cook in a saucepan on low heat. Cook until soft, then mash with fork to form a thick applesauce.
- Sift flour and salt together. Cut in the shortening. Add water and mix with fork.
- Roll out to about 1/4 inch thick on a floured board. Cut with a large cookie cutter (4 inches in diameter).
- In each round, place 1 heaping tablespoon fruit. Moisten edges with cold water, fold and press edge with a fork.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Fry pies, a few at a time, 2 to 3 minutes on each side; cook until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 421 Total Fat: 32g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 25g Cholesterol: 6mg Sodium: 213mg Carbohydrates: 31g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 10g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g