If your favorite dishes tend to lean on the “unhealthy” side of things but feed your soul and bring you joy, fret not. We’re going to teach you some recipes that will make them healthier and lighter.
Clean eating is a great thing for your mind, body, and overall long-term well-being, but sometimes it’s natural to feel like you want to let loose and eat what you want.
A Lighter Mac & Cheese
Let’s start with a classic dish. The classic Mac & Cheese is quite heavy and is high in calories and unhealthy fats. We’re going to transform it into a lighter dish that’s still going to be as tasty and savory as ever. Here’s what you want to do:
- Swap regular old pasta with whole wheat pasta or even chickpea pasta. Now you’ll have more fiber which is good for your digestion, and you’ll also be taking in more essential nutrients.
- For the cream, you’re going to want to blend low-fat milk or vegetable broth with some steamed or boiled cauliflower. The cauliflower will elevate the cream, giving it a subtle flavor, and it helps emulate the traditional cheese sauce. If you want more flavor, add some grated low-fat cheese.
It’s that simple. Now you can have a healthier Mac & Cheese that will be easier on you but still tastes delicious.
Healthy Chicken Tenders
Chicken tenders are delicious. If you’re having the urge to bite into something crunchy, it’s the perfect dish. But chicken tenders are typically deep fried, and that won’t do this time around. So, let’s tweak it a bit. Here’s what you can do:
- To get that beloved crunchiness but in a lighter version, create a coating mixture using whole wheat breadcrumbs, spices, and herbs. When dipping your chicken, dip it in a mix of Greek Yogurt and Dijon mustard. This substitutes eggs. When you’re done with all this, prep them to bake in the oven. Yes, we’ll bake them instead of frying them.
- Baking them will help reduce unnecessary fats and calories but still, let you enjoy your crunchy and delightful meal. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and then let the chicken tenders bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 165°F (74°C).
Now you can have your favorite chicken tenders without compromising your health too much by deep frying them. You can add vegetables to the dish if you want to make it more wholesome. However, it’s already wholesome the way it is. So, enjoy your delicious and healthy meal.
Powerhouse Vegetable Chili
Let’s teach you how to convert a classic chili into a powerhouse one packed with nutrients. You’ll be adding more veggies and lean protein sources to start with. Here’s what you can do:
- Instead of using ground beef, let’s use ground turkey or plant-based choices like lentils or black beans. You’ll be able to have more fiber. Add veggies like bell peppers, zucchini, and carrots to load up on nutrients and flavor.
- Add spices like cumin, chili powder, and paprika. Don’t use too much salt. Let the chili simmer slowly so the flavors blend in together.
It’s good to take a break from meat once in a while. It’s harder to digest, and switching to alternatives and moderating meat consumption from time to time can be great for you in the long term.
Lasagna is an all-time favorite by many, but it can be so heavy for your body, so what’s a good way to make it lighter? Here’s our take on it:
- Swap out lasagna noodles with zucchini noodles. Slice those noodles up thinly before proceeding to cook them like classic lasagna.
- Switch to low-fat cheese and add it with low-fat mozzarella.
Of course, this could never replace a true lasagna dish, but if you want to eat healthier, you can still very much enjoy this version and benefit from a more nutritious take to it, so you don’t lose anything in the end.
The traditional dough can be tough for a lot of people to break down, and some have serious gluten allergies that can take damage when eating anything like pizza. But don’t fret; we’re going to spinoff pizza to a safer alternative for those who want it. Here’s what you can do:
- Swap out traditional dough for a cauliflower crust. You can do this by putting raw cauliflower through a food processor until it becomes rice-like. Then you steam it and dry it and take out excess moisture. After, you mix the cauliflower with egg, low-fat cheese, and whatever seasonings you want. You use that and shape it into a crust.
- For toppings, use healthy alternatives like veggies and lean protein.
Now you have pizza but healthier. Gluten from bread and traditional dough can be very damaging to some people and can be too much for your body if you eat in excess in the long run, so try out some alternatives and moderate your eating of it from time to time.
We should all try to moderate what we eat and switch to healthier alternatives regularly. This doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy our favorite classic dishes; it just means we have to be mindful of how much of them we consume. Over the years, it’s been proven again and again that many classic dishes we love are just simply unhealthy.
So, try to switch to healthier versions when you can. And from time to time, let yourself enjoy the classic versions. This way, you won’t compromise your health too much. Health is wealth. Eat healthily and see how much this changes your life.
Author’s bioEmma Davis is a passionate food enthusiast, recipe developer, and health advocate. With a deep love for both cooking and nutrition, she combines her expertise to create delicious and nutritious meals that promote a healthy lifestyle. Her mission is to make healthy eating enjoyable and accessible to everyone. In addition to her culinary pursuits, Emma is a skilled writer. If you need assistance with a task such as ‘write my essay online‘, Emma Davis is also available as an experienced writer to provide high-quality and well-researched content tailored to your needs. Her expertise in nutrition and culinary arts ensures that your essay will be both informative and engaging, leaving a lasting impression on your readers.