I was at the store the other day and liked to have had a cow (that’s Kentucky slang for throwin a fit) when I saw the cost of a round loaf of bread to use for a bread bowl. Almost $5.00! What???? I was NOT going to pay that price for some bread! I knew I had to see if I could make homemade bread bowls.
I started searching on my favorite recipe sites and finally found one that was worth trying: Bread Bowl Recipe from All Recipes.
- 2 cups + 4 Tablespoons warm water
- 2 packages of active dry yeast, 5 1/2 teaspoons
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter, melted
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Using a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, add warm water and sprinkle in yeast. Let dissolve for a few minutes until yeast becomes foamy. Add melted butter, sugar and salt and mix until combined. Gradually add flour. Once combined, allow your mixer to knead the dough for about 5 minutes. Punch dough down and form into 6 equal sized balls. Place on a greased cookie sheet and let rise until doubled. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool and cut off the top, remove some of the bread from the inside and fill with soup or dip.
This was seriously so easy and made our soups taste like they came from Panera!