As much as I love guacamole, I knew it was time to find a recipe and make it homemade. It can get pretty expensive when you buy the pre-packaged stuff. So I set out to make a delicious batch of the stuff. Here is my recipe for homemade guacamole.
Here’s a tip I learned: If you are not going to use all your avocado, leave the pit in the side you are not using. The pit will keep the avocado from turning brown!
- 3 avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- In a large bowl place the avocado and lime juice, and then toss to coat. Drain any lime juice that is at the bottom of the bowl, and reserve it for later -- just make sure that the avocados have been coated. Using a potato masher or a fork or some kind add the salt, cumin, and cayenne and mash. Now, fold in the onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and garlic. Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved lime juice. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour before serving.
Guacamole goes great on Mexican night with some of my favorites that I have made like: Pork Tacos, Fried Chicken Tacos, and Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas.
Mexican night at home is a great way to cut the price of your grocery bill. It is a very inexpensive meal you can fix at home. In our home, we make our own taco shells, put together our own taco seasoning mix, and make our own salsa. Mexican night in our house is truly a delicious night!
What about you? What are your favorite Mexican dishes? Share with me in the comments below.
What have you been making lately?