This is one of the best homemade desserts you will ever make! Nothing beats a hot homemade peach cobbler topped with some vanilla bean ice cream!
I have made this recipe using blackberries (for my delicious blackberry cobbler) and blueberry and now I am working on making Apple Cobbler.
For the Filling
- 8 cups fresh peaches - peeled, pitted and sliced
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Crust:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/8 cup lard
- 3/8 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/8 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large saucepan, combine peaches, sugar and nutmeg. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens and begins to bubble and peaches are tender, 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted. Pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt. Blend in lard and shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles pea-sized crumbs. Combine egg and cold water in a separate bowl and sprinkle mixture over pastry, a little at a time, stirring just until dough comes together. Roll out on a floured surface into a 9x13 inch rectangle. Lay crust over peach mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven 50 to 60 minutes, until crust is golden.
What is your favorite way to make cobblers? Do you use other kinds of fruits?