Yesterday I tried my hand at making homemade wheat thins. Oh. My. Goodness. These little guys are SO delicious! Addictive would be a much better word to describe them. And, this recipe are super easy to make.
I will say that you need to make sure that you roll them really thin. Some of the ones I did were not rolled real thin and they puffed up a bit and took a lot longer to get crispy.
Kayla had fun eating these with cream cheese. Okay I did too. They were SCRUMPTIOUS!
Be sure to check out my Recipe Index where you will find ALL of the recipes listed on this site.
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus extra for topping
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper then set aside.
- Add the flour, sugar, salt and paprika to a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Cut the butter into small pieces and add it to the bowl. Using a pastry blender, mix the butter into the dry ingredients thoroughly. Combine the water and vanilla in a small measuring cup or bowl. Add to the butter/flour mixture and mix until a smooth dough forms. If the dough is still dry, add a little more water.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces. Lightly flour your work surface and rolling pin and roll one piece of dough at at time into a large rectangle. Lift the dough and turn it as you roll to ensure it’s not sticking. You want to roll the dough as thin as possible, try to make sure it’s 1/16-inch thick at most. Use a pizza cutter to cut the rectangle into squares about 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide.
- Transfer the dough squares to the prepared baking sheets. You can place them close together because they will not spread. Sprinkle the squares lightly with salt. Repeat the rolling and cutting process with the remaining 3 pieces of dough.
- Bake the crackers, until crisp and browned, about 5-10 minutes. Check the crackers at 5 minutes, and if some of the thinner ones are browning too quickly, remove them from the oven. Remove crackers from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Store the crackers in an airtight container.
What is your favorite kind of cracker?
Recipe used from Two Peas in a Pod