Cufflinks are a type of accessory that is usually worn by men. Most men’s shirts are tailored in such a way that to secure the cuffs, you do not necessarily need to use actual buttons but a pair of cufflinks.
Cufflinks are fashionable, and they can be used for both practical and decorative function. When choosing cufflinks, it is essential to consider the look, function, and the feel you want to achieve.
In this article, we will look at the different types of vintage cufflinks available and how you can choose the ones that suit you best.
- Simple; these are cufflinks that are made using simple methods. Simple cufflinks can be made to look more appealing by adding various techniques such as patination and mill-pressing. Patination is the term used to refer to the process of adding color to a simple cufflink, while mill-pressing is the technique of adding texture.
- Double-sided; these cufflinks usually consist of two small discs connected either by a short chain or a bar. These cufflinks are generally more detailed than single-faced cufflinks as they can have different details on the faces. However, one of the faces must be able to pass through the shirt’s buttonhole.
- Torpedo; also known as bullet cufflinks. These are the most common style of george jensen cufflinks vintage as they are easy to wear. This is because the cufflinks usually have a hinged bar that makes them easier to secure on the cuffs.
There are other types of vintage cufflinks such as; fixed, chain-linked, and whale tail. So, how can a person identify vintage cufflinks?
Below Are Some Tips That You Can Apply in Identifying Vintage Cufflinks.
- The Stones That Make-up the Cufflinks
The first thing one should consider when trying to identify vintage cufflinks is the stones by which the cufflinks are made of. By looking at the stones, you can tell whether the piece is contemporary, modern, or vintage.
Take extra care in looking at the edges and corners of the stones. This will show you some of the irregularities that may end up being noticeable once you wear the cufflinks.
- The fabric and Stitches Used
Another way of identifying vintage cufflinks is by looking at the fabric and the stitching used on the cufflinks. Considering your preferred material can help you narrow down on the type of fabric that you would want on your cufflinks.
- The type of Clasp
The last tip to identifying vintage cufflinks is by looking at the type of Clasp. The Clasp can either be classy or straightforward. Every kind of Clasp usually has its own set of features that are used to secure the cufflink.
What You Should Consider When Choosing Vintage Cufflinks
Now that you know the various types of vintage cufflinks available and the tips on identifying the best. Let us now look at some of the things you should consider when choosing some of the best vintage cufflinks.
- Quality; quality will serve you for longer. Look for cufflinks that are made of good quality material such as gold or silver.
- Design; make sure to choose a modern yet timeless design. The design should match the style of your cufflinks.
- Shape; the shape of the cufflinks should also be considered as the shape usually expresses the form of other pieces of your collection. For example, large cufflinks look good with slender cufflinks.
- Color; lastly, always ensure that the color of your cufflinks matches your outfit. The cufflinks should also compliment other pieces of jewelry that you may be adorning. For example, look for cufflinks that will compliment your diamond -speckled watch.
Since cufflinks are considered a popular form of masculine jewelry, they should be part of every fashion-conscious man. Cufflinks can either be machine-made or hand-crafted. If you are interested in a more personal piece, it is advisable to go for the hand-crafted ones as they are more distinct and authentic.