Tucker gets decked out every Halloween, every Christmas, every holiday — he has an outfit that he wears. Earlier this year, we found him a pumpkin costume at a yard sale for a dime! Yay me for a big score! Since we are talking Halloween costumes today, I thought I would share my tips with you on how to keep your pet safe this Halloween.
Yes, he is adorable. We may even switch it out for a cool Yoda costume we found. He just loves to model his adorable pumpkin and other outfits! But did you know, that Americans will spend $370 million dollars in this year alone to dress up their pet? I’m glad mine only cost me a dime, but Americans love to dress up their pets and spend money on cute outfits.
However, an outfit that is ill fitting can hurt your sweet little puppy. Here are some tips from Brad Kriser, healthy pet expert and founder of Kriser’s, on how to keep your pet safe this Halloween.
How to Keep Your Pet Safe This Halloween
- Pet lock down – The constant ringing of the doorbell, shouting and spooky costumes can be stressful to your pet; it’s always best to secure them in a separate room during the trick-or-treating hours.
- Costume check –Before hitting the sidewalks with your pet in costume, make sure they are still able to breathe, see, hear and walk comfortably. Also, make sure that your pet has a reflective collar or light, so that they can easily be spotted in the dark.
- No tricks or treats – Certain candy, like chocolate, is very toxic to dogs. When you’re not handing out candy to the trick-or-treaters, remember to store your candy bowl out of mouth-grabbing reach for pets. Beware of candy wrappers, too; these can be harmful if digested.
- Deceiving decorations – Light-up Halloween decorations, artificial spider webs and crafting glue used to make decorations all can be hazardous to pets. Keep these types of decorations to a minimum and as out of reach as possible.
- Pumpkin threats – Jack O’ Lanterns are the staple of Halloween, but can also pose a huge threat to your pet if they are adorned with candles. Excited pets can burn themselves on the candles or inadvertently knock them over while running around.
Another thing to keep in consideration is this — candy is not good for your pet. Keep it away from them — especially chocolate! Chocolate is very lethal to dogs and can kill them.
I was not compensated to write this post. All opinions are my own and tips were supplied by Brad Kriser.