Since this is our last week of studying trees, the kids and I found a recipe to make a Pinecone Homemade Bird Feeder. It was such fun, that we thought we would share the tutorial with you as well.
This was kinda messy, but the kids really enjoyed getting their hands dirty and making something for the millions of birds and squirrels that we have around our house!
When they completed them, we hung them in the trees for the birds to enjoy!
Here are the steps to make your own homemade bird feeder.
- 1 jar of natural peanut or almond butter – If someone has a nut allergy you can use honey instead.
- Large pine cones
- 1 small bag of bird seeds
- Metal wire or strings to wrap around the top of feeder and to hang the feeder
How to assemble:
- Place seeds in a large bowl.
- Attach the wire or string around the top of the pinecone.
- Use a spatula to spread a thin layer of nut butter around and into the nooks.
- Roll the pinecone into the birdseeds, making sure the seeds cover all sides.
- Carefully lift the bird feeder by the wire or string and place in a bag.
- Repeat until they are all completed.