I found another quick and easy way to shave a little more off my grocery budget each week by making homemade bread crumbs. I use bread crumbs quite frequently in recipes and they can run anywhere from $1-$3 depending on the brand that you buy.
I decided that this time, I would *try* to make my own. I had seen Paula do it on Food Network and I had heard of others doing it, but had never tried myself. Oh-Em-GEE. It is SO easy to do that I will never buy store bought again. Anytime you need bread crumbs, use this method.
Here is how to make your own bread crumbs. Use them in whatever way you need 🙂
- 3 pieces of day old bread
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grab your food processor and put the chopping blade in.
- Tear your bread so that it fits inside the bowl of your food processor.
- Put the lid on and pulse until you get the consistency you are looking for. (you can go even smaller with the bread crumb bits, but I wanted mine to look more like panko instead of regular store bought crumbs).
- Pour out your bread crumbs on a cookie sheet, spacing them out evenly. Season with salt and pepper before placing in the oven. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes or until crunchy consistency is reached.
- Be careful not to overbrown them or they will taste burnt. Check them frequently during the 10 minute baking period.
These are SO delicious!
These are so easy to make and only takes minutes to prepare. I used it top my favorite Parmesan Crusted Chicken. 🙂