My version of Lemon Poppyseed Bread is SO darn good. It goes wonderful with coffee, or by itself, or on a plate with an extra dollop of whip cream. There is really nothing wrong you can do to this bread.
The lemony goodness just melts in your mouth as you take bite after bite–and you will. Try to eat just one little piece. It will not happen!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/8 cups vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease three 8x4 inch bread pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, salt, baking powder, poppy seeds and 2 1/2 cups white sugar. Add the eggs, milk, oil, vanilla and lemon extract; mix until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour batter evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaves comes out clean. Cool loaves in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- Combine orange juice with remaining 3/4 cup sugar and desired flavor of extract; stir well. Pour this mixture over the loaf while it is still hot. Allow loaf to cool completely before serving.
- This yields 3 loaves.