This month for the Crazy Cooking Challenge, we were given the food ingredient of blueberries and making muffins. I decided to see exactly what I could find that would be a healthier version since Kayla and I are working on trying to eat a little better. This recipe for Low Fat Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins was perfect.
I found this recipe at The Craving Chronicles. Filled with blueberries, whole grains, and applesauce make for a moist and delicious muffin 🙂
I had a few extra strawberries laying around that I needed to use too, so I added them as well. If you want to talk about a yummy and delicious muffin that is full of flavor AND good for you too? This is it!
Here’s the recipe that I made. You will definitely want to make these.
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp corn oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- 14 cup of strawberries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray. If you plan on eating them straight out of the oven, give the liners a spritz of cooking spray so the muffins won’t stick.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Combine applesauce, buttermilk, sugar, oil and egg in a medium bowl. Add the applesauce, stirring until just moist. Batter will be really thick so do not over mix. Carefully fold in blueberries and strawberries.
- Spoon the batter into muffin cups. Bake at 375°F for 16-18 minutes.