I will totally admit that I am a Food Network junkie. I watch it most of the day (or it is on in the background while I work). Many of my favorite recipes have come from that channel like this one from The Neely’s — Mac and Cheese with Crunchy Bacon Topping.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk, warm
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dash salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Dash hot sauce
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar
- 1 pound cavatappi pasta, cooked al dente
- 1 cup crushed potato chips
- 5 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, for topping
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt6 tablespoons butter in a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in the warmed milk and bring to a boil, continue to whisk constantly. The mixture will thicken as the heat increases. Continue to stir while adding
- the dry mustard, nutmeg, cayenne, salt, pepper, hot sauce and Worcestershire. Stir in the 3 cups of Cheddar until it melts.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the noodles and add to a 3 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the chips, bacon and Parmesan on top and bake for 35 minutes.
I love finding recipes for food I would not normally fix. Everyone in my family LOVED this and it was a great dish to fix for the holidays.