Yesterday, Kayla and I tried our hand at making Homemade Fruit Roll Ups, or in a homemade case, they call it fruit leather. This is SO easy to make. You don’t need a dehydrator. All you need is an oven and your pan with a silicone baking mat and you can make these delicious and healthy treats.
To make this delicious and easy homemade treat, you will start out with a large pan and a silicone baking mat. The silicone baking mat will make it easy to peel away when it is done drying. I got mine on Amazon for only $15.97 (which is WAY cheaper than any other place I have seen silicone baking mats available.)
If you don’t have a silicone baking mat you can use parchment paper, but I like how the baking mat makes it turn out.
About BakingitFun Silicone Baking Mat
This reusable mat conducts heat so well! You can use it in the oven, microwave, or freezer and conducts heat up to 450 degrees. It’s also ready to go anytime you want to bake something! No need to grease or spray it down.
Manufactured using FDA and LFGB approved materials – Made of fiber cloths covered with the best food grade silicone and is completely BPA free!
Once you get your mat ready, puree your strawberries and honey until you get it the consistency you want it. You can use a food processor or a blender to do this. Then spread it all out on your baking mat. The liquid will look pretty thick, so don’t worry.
After you pour it out on the silicone baking mat, you will preheat the oven to 170 degrees. Place the pan in the oven and leave it for 3 hours. You may or may not have to leave it a few minutes longer (we had to leave it an extra 30 minutes). You will know if it is done by touching it. If it sticks to your finger, then you will leave it in the oven for about 15-30 extra minutes.
After 3 hours, it will look like this.
Let it cool off for about 20 minutes. While it’s cooling, cut strips of wax paper about 2″ in width and about 12 inches long. After the leather gets cooled off, just take a pair of scissors and cut it into strips to match the leather. Then roll them up and place them in a ziplock bag for a fast and delicious snack!
You will not believe how unbelievably delicious this snack is!
Here is the recipe printable. Hope you enjoy!
- 4 - 4 1/2 C strawberries, hulled (You can also use any other fruit you want)
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees. Line two 12x17-inch rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Blend ingredients together until smooth. If desired, strain to remove seeds, but I left the seeds in mine so it looked more authentic.
- Divide mixture between pans, spread with an offset spatula to create an even layer.
- Bake for 3 hours or until leather is no longer sticky.
- Peel leather from baking mat and bring to a cutting board to slice into desired sizes. Wrap with parchment or wax paper. Store in an airtight container.
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.