Today is National Pie Day, so it is totally okay to forge ahead with having a yummy slice of pie for dessert tonight! I was recently looking through my recipe archives and realized that I have never shared with you all my famous Old Fashioned Apple Pie recipe. It is so good.
Nothing compares to those old Southern favorites.
I have a lot of pie recipes on this site. It is one of my favorite things to make. I always make sure to use a homemade crust. It makes ALL the difference in the world.
Pie Crust :
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup vegetable shortening, room temperature
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 2 cups all – purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar :
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp all – purpose flour
- 5 Granny Smith apples
For the crust
- In a bowl mix the salt and flour then cut room temperature shortening , flour mixed until uniform and shortening resembles large peas.
- Whisk water, vinegar and egg until well blended.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, then stir with a fork until all the dough is moistened.
- Divide the dough into two parts and then shape each dough into a ball, flatten a circle about 4 inches. After that wrap the dough and refrigerate at least 15 minutes.
- Dust using a rolling pin and work surface lightly with flour.
- Roll the dough into a circle until you get a thickness of about 1 inch and is bigger than your pie plate.
- Roll the dough onto your rolling pin and transfer to your pie plate. Press the dough into the pan and up the sides of your pan.
- If there is more dough around the edge of the plate cut using the back of a knife or create a pretty beveled edge. Meanwhile preheat the oven to about 400 degrees F.
- Peel, core and slice the apples. After that mix apple slices with cinnamon, sugar and flour. Place the apple mixture in the pie shell.
- Roll out second pie crust and place it on top of the apples.
- Pinch and seam the top layer with the bottom layer to give your pie a decorative edge.
- Give a little slit to allow steam out in the oven. Brush the top with egg wash and then sprinkle a little sugar on the top.
- bake in the over for about 30-40 minutes or until pie is browned.
- Let cool for a bit and then serve a la mode with a dollop of vanilla ice cream
Do you have a favorite pie you always make?