If you love apples, you will SO want to make this dessert! My Rustic Apple Pie is one that can definitely be enjoyed by everyone.
- 1 package of refrigerated pie dough
- 4 large Granny Smith apples
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
To finish off pie
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Position an oven rack in the bottom 1/3 of the oven, and preheat the oven to 400°F.
For the filling
- Peel and core the apples. Cut the apples into 1/8-1/4-inch-thick slices. Transfer the slices to the large bowl. Sprinkle the sugar, cinnamon, and cornstarch over the apples. Using the wooden spoon, gently stir the fruit until it is evenly coated with the sugar mixture.
Assemble the pie
- Remove the rolled-out pie dough from the box and lay it on a cookie sheet. Spoon the apple filling onto the circle, creating an even layer in the center and leaving a 2-inch-wide border uncovered around the edge of the dough.
- Fold the border up and over the filling, gathering the dough into pleats so it fits snugly around the fruit .The center of the pie will be open.
Finish and bake the pie
- Brush the pleated dough edges with the melted butter, then sprinkle them with the sugar.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until the crust is a deep golden brown and the fruit is juicy and bubbling.
- Once the pie is finished baking, use a metal spatula to lift the pie slightly so you can make sure the crust is golden brown.
- Serve warm with a big scoop of ice cream.
This pie is so delicious! You can serve it as dessert while sipping on some delicious homemade hot chocolate. That is of course, after you have a delicious dinner of on my Goulash – the one pot wonder.
What is your favorite rustic dessert?