I discovered a new recipe recently that really made me love one pot cooking. Someone had created a dish called Skillet Keilbasa Hash using things like onions, all different kinds of peppers and more, so I decided to put my own spin on it and create my own yummy version of this dish.
This dish can be made in about 15 minutes and I can promise you your family will LOVE it. Mine couldn’t get enough.
So to start, you really only need about 4 or 5 ingredients — your keilbasa, some onion, a bell pepper, and potatoes. You can add more or less veggies to your choosing. It is a very forgiving dish so there is all kinds of things you can do to it.
Start by slicing up and frying all of your keilbasa. I just do mine in rounds. Make sure to get a good caramelized crust on them and then set them aside to drain.
In the same pot, you are going to dice up your potatoes to the perfect hash size and fry them until they are golden brown.
Now, throw in your diced bell pepper and onion. I chose an orange because it has a sweeter taste and with the keilbasa being a salty piece of meat, I wanted to add a little sweetness to it.
Cook until the onion and bell pepper are tender and then you throw in your keilbasa and mix it all together.
And that’s it! It is a super simple recipe that will have everyone in your home raving. You can even make it healthier by using the turkey keilbasa sausage, but I prefer the beef. You can eliminate some of the grease by draining and blotting the sausage with paper towels afterwards.
- 1 14 ounce package beef kielbasa, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 small or 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- In a heavy bottomed skillet, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the keilbasa and brown the sliced kielbasa for around 5 minutes on each side. Remove and set aside to drain. Be sure to blot the sausage to remove any excess grease.
- Now, add the other 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium high heat and add the potatoes to the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Fry until golden brown and cooked through, around 8-10 minutes, stirring a few times to ensure even browning.
- Now, add the peppers and onions to the skillet and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, or until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked kielbasa to the skillet with the onions and peppers and mix everything together.
I am really loving these one pot meals. What about you? What’s your favorite one pot dinner idea?