I never in a million years thought my husband would like spaghetti squash. It is purely vegetable and he is not a fan of squash at all, so when I made this dish, I was not expecting him to eat it. However, he ate it and loved it! We topped it with red sauce, meat, and mushrooms – just like real spaghetti and then added some parmesean cheese to it as well. It was so good, I decided to share the recipe with you.
Roasting the spaghetti squash is very easy. Cut it in half, remove the seeds, and then place it upside down on a cookie sheet and let it steam from the inside out. When it's done, it flakes off just like spaghetti noodles.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 head garlic
- olive oil
- vegetable oil
- 1 jar of red sauce
- 1 cup of mushrooms, sauteed
- 1 pound of hamburger meat, cooked and drained
- Preheat oven to 350-375.
- Halve raw spaghetti squash with a sturdy sharp knife, scoop out, and discard the seeds and pulp.
- Place halves onto an oven safe cooking dish face up. Clean head of garlic and thinly slice garlic, (the larger pieces of garlic brown nicely, and offer a wonderful layer of complexity to the dish). Spread garlic into the bowl like shape of the squash, salt and pepper vigorously, drizzle with a 50/50 mixture of olive oil, and vegetable oil (get the oil everywhere inside the squash).
- Turn the squash face down and place onto the upper middle rack of the oven for about 30-40 minutes. (You will know it is ready when the squash separates with little resistance from the skin).
- Remove from oven, and let it set out for about 20 minutes. Use a fork to scoop and separate squash strands, add any other ingredients you like at this point.
- Parmesan, Romano, or Pecorino, Feta, are all excellent additions to this dish, as well as, meat, sausage, veggies, olives, the list is endless.
- Be sure to let your noodles cool off before adding the red sauce. Adding it too early makes the squash runny, mushy, and unpalatable.
Check out my other recipes in the #MushroomMakeover challenge that I am doing —
- How to Make Sauteed Mushrooms
- 30 Day Weight Loss Challenge Week 1 – #MushroomMakeover
- Spinach Egg and Mushroom Scramble
- Chipotle Mushroom Tacos
- Sausage and Mushroom Flatbread – Improv Cooking Challenge
What is your favorite veggie dish?