This month marks National Ice Cream month and if you are anything like me, I loooooove my ice cream! Another thing that I love right now is Nielsen-Massey Vanillas. Combine my love of ice cream with my love of their pure vanilla extracts and you create the most delicious homemade ice cream ever.
Today — I am sharing their version of Strawberry Ice Cream Sandwiches. These are to die for!
For the Ice Cream
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled and washed
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons Nielsen-Massey Tahitian Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¼ teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Pure Lemon Extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
For the Cookie
- 2½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder, Dutch processed
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup 1¼ sticks butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1½ tablespoons Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Pure Chocolate Extract
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup unsulphured original molasses
- ¼ sugar to dip glass bottom
For the ice cream
- In a 4 quart glass measuring cup, add berries, sugar, vanilla and lemon extracts, and salt. Smash with a potato masher; stir in cream and milk; set aside.
- Assemble ice cream maker. Turn ice cream maker on and pour ice cream mixture into *frozen container. Let mix until ice cream thickens, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer ice cream into an air tight container; freeze for several hours, or for a firmer ice cream, freeze overnight. Scoop ice cream, place between 2 cookies and gently press.
- Or, for a prefect ice cream round; line a 9x13-inch pan with foil then evenly spread ice cream with a rubber spatula; cover and freeze overnight. Then use a cookie cutter to cut desired diameter of ice cream rounds and place between 2 cookies.
For the cookie:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 light-colored heavy baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, cardamom, and salt, set aside. In a large mixing bowl, add butter, powdered sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and chocolate extracts; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Beat in egg. Add molasses; beat until combined. Reduce speed to low and add dry ingredients in three batches, beating after each addition until combined.
- Roll 1-inch balls and place on cookie sheets. Using the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar, lightly press each cookie flat. Bake one sheet pan at a time on center rack until done, about 8-10 minutes. Cool cookies on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.
National Ice Cream Day is this Sunday, July 20. What started 30 years ago has grown into a much-anticipated opportunity for kids and adults alike to cool off on warm summer days with ice cream treats of all types, including homemade ice cream sandwiches – currently one of the hottest dessert trends.
Nielsen-Massey shared some ways to dress up your ice cream. These tips are definitely going to come in handy!
- Dress it up: Roll the sides of finished ice cream sandwiches in mini chocolate chips, mini M&Ms, sprinkles, toasted coconut or nuts to add color and texture.
- Take a shortcut: If you are short on time, purchase bakery cookies to use with the homemade strawberry ice cream recipe, below, to build your own ice cream sandwiches.
- Chill out: Keeping your homemade ice cream cold is the secret to a sandwich that won’t fall apart or get soggy. Take the time to re-freeze ice cream between steps – your patience will be rewarded with perfect sandwiches every time.
- Keep them fresh: Wrap each sandwich individually in plastic wrap immediately after building each sandwich. Keep them in the freezer until just before serving.
What makes the above recipe so delicious?
Nielsen-Massey Tahitian Pure Vanilla Extract and Pure Lemon Extract add depth to the ice cream and complement the sweet summer strawberries. The ice cream rests between homemade chocolate sandwich cookies bursting with flavor from cardamom, Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract and Pure Chocolate Extract for an irresistible summer treat that literally melts in your mouth.
Enter to win
One Jen’s Journey reader is going to get his or her chance to win a sampling kit of the delicious Nielsen-Massey Vanillas. My daughter made brownies yesterday using the Tahitian flavor and EVERYONE raved about how delicious they were.
Use the Giveaway Tools form below to enter.
I was provided samples from Nielsen Massey Vanillas in exchange for this post. All opinions listed are 100% my own.