I hope you all had a fabulous Memorial Day weekend. While we did not get to go anywhere this year, I was able to make a couple of new recipes! If you follow my page on Facebook, then you know about my test kitchen recipe for sweet and spicy mixed nuts.
I can tell you that these mixed nuts are deeeelish!
I wasn't for sure how the flavors would blend together, but oh em gee….they are fabulous!
The inspiration for making these came from Food Network (of course, right?)! Vice President Biden made these with Sunny Anderson for their Memorial Day cookout. I knew after reading the recipe, I was going to seriously have to give them a try.
In his recipe, he used just pecans, but honestly. . .pecans are expensive! So I tried to find a way to make them and it be less expensive. That is why I used mixed nuts. Plus, I liked the variety of different flavors of nuts. My faves were the almonds and cashews!
Mixed Nuts= $2.50
Which would you have chosen?
Here is the recipe. If you decide to try it let me know!
Sweet and Spicy Mixed Nuts
- 1 large egg white
- 4 cups mixed nuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Beat the egg white with 1 tablespoon water in a large bowl until foamy. Add the nuts, sugar, cumin, cayenne, cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon salt and mix well. Spread the mixture on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until the nuts are mostly dry but still slightly sticky, about 40 minutes.
- Remove the nuts from the oven and stir. Reduce the temperature to 200 degrees F. Return the nuts to the oven and bake until crisp, about 30 more minutes. Stir to loosen the nuts from the baking sheet; cool completely on the sheet.
Now for my good news!
I start my job tomorrow! I am really starting to get excited about going back to work. Don't get me wrong. I love my family more than anything, but the extrovert in me has missed the adult conversation. I have three days of training and then I will be on my own! YIKES!
I know that I can handle it just fine 🙂 Just hoping I don't spend all my paycheck each week when I get it! Gotta be a good girl, right?
Oh–and be sure and hop on over to the blog and check out the summer feel I have going on. Been trying to spruce things up around here. I am kind of in an organizing mood.
What about you? What do you have going on right now?