The way that you take care of your hair is vital to presenting the image you want. It’s one of the first things people will notice when they see you and there are many different aspects that can affect it, such as how your hair is cut, how healthy it is, and how you style it for different occasions.
This is something I realized a long time ago, and I try to keep it in mind when I’m getting ready for the day or for special events. A cute haircut is often the first thing that draws my eye to a stranger, and the health and strength of your hair makes a huge difference. Even the best style won’t look good if your hair is limp and lifeless!
Hair Care Tips
While you might think you’re doomed to an oily or frizzy state forever, there are all sorts of secrets to help you get thick, healthy hair and keep it that way. Some of the tricks I’ve tried and tested are so quick and easy that you may even be able to incorporate them into your daily routine without adding any extra time in the bathroom! Here are some simple changes anyone can make to keep their hair strong and looking gorgeous.
- Brush with a wide-toothed comb. Wide-toothed combs are the best for getting through knots without struggling and pulling your hair more than necessary.
- Pat your hair dry gently with a towel, rather than rubbing or squeezing it. That hard rubbing might dry you off faster, but it can also weaken and break your hair and cause all sorts of frizziness.
- Eat foods that encourage healthy hair growth. Some of these include high-protein foods like Greek yogurt, and fish, like tuna, that have omega-3 fatty acids, which can help your hair shine.
- Giving yourself a scalp massage (or getting a friend or partner to do it) every once in a while can help increase blood flow in the area and promote hair growth. It’s helpful and soothing!
- Utilize hairstyling schools like the Academy of Hair Design. I know how expensive a haircut can be, and that can make it difficult to keep yourself looking your best. Schools like the Academy of Hair Design can have much lower prices than your average hair salon while still providing you with the same high quality. As a bonus, you get to help students learn and contribute to your community!
Hairstyle and Maintenance
Hair can grow fast, especially when you’re using the tricks described above! One of the worst things that can happen is when you get a great cut but it grows into that awkward in-between stage and ends up looking shapeless. If you’re trying to grow your hair out you may have to deal with that stage until your hair has reached the length you want.
In that case, adding layers to the haircut or getting styling tips from a professional can be a big help and give you something cute to rock without having to cut your hair significantly and lose the length you want. Plenty of hairstylists are happy to give demonstrations of how to style and maintain their work. At your next hair appointment, don’t be afraid to ask.
On the other hand, some hairstyles just take regular maintenance. With short or asymmetrical styles especially, you may need to make a regular appointment with your stylist if you want to keep the look fresh and clean looking without letting it grow back out. These regular appointments can be a huge help, and if you do end up wanting to change it up you can consult with your stylist and get a professional opinion.
How Your Salon Can Help
Salons can do so much to help with keeping your hair healthy and looking fantastic. The experts can recommend the best treatments and products for different types and textures of hair and can inform you on how to best use those products to keep your hair strong, thick, and shiny. You can even identify problem areas, such as oily hair or dryness, and they’ll give you ideas based on exactly what you need!
Different hairstyles also work best for different hair types and face shapes, and stylists can give all sorts of fantastic suggestions that you may not have thought of on your own. If you have a great cut but don’t know what to do with it for a special occasion, your stylist should have some ideas catered specifically to the haircut you have! It’s much easier than sifting through lists of buns and braids that might not make sense for the length or texture of your hair.
It’s also important to go to the salon for regular trims, even if you’re not changing up your cut or style. Regular trimming helps your hair stay healthy and beautiful because it gets rid of the dry hair and split ends at the bottom.
There are plenty of ways to keep your hair healthy and happy, but these are some of the best tips I’ve found. It’s important to remember that the stylists at your local salon or hairstyling school are there to help you look and feel your best, and they’re a great resource when figuring out exactly what you want.