The other day, my daughter was looking online for a new recipe to make. She was craving chocolate as usual, and when she does, we always come up with a wild creation. This time, she discovered a recipe for Twix Candy Bars, but instead of leaving them in bar form, she wanted to make them into heart cookies for Valentine's Day. Here is her gorgeous Twix Candy Bar Cookies rendition.
The cookie portion is a shortbread cookie. She made these all by herself. The only help I offered was to melt and drizzle the caramel and chocolate. The rest is all her.
Have I mentioned how talented she is?
The caramel portion was my Werther's Baking Caramels that I got in last year for the Baking Bash that I did. I still had a few bags left over so this was a great way to use something from my pantry.
The chocolate portion was just a candy bar that we melted and drizzled over the top and then sprinkled on a few toasted chopped pecans.
Everyone that tasted these cookies raved about how delicious they were.
- 1 cup 2 sticks salted butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- ! CARAMEL LAYER:
- 2 cups caramel candies
- 3 tablespoons milk
- ! CHOCOLATE LAYER:
- 2 ounces of Ghiradelli Bittersweet candy bar
- Pecans, optional
FOR THE cookie:
- Preheat your oven to 300°F. Spray a 9″ x 13″ pan lightly with cooking spray (or line with parchment) and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla. Add the flour. Mix until well combined.
- Take the dough (it will be thick) and roll it out to 1/4" thick. Using your heart cookie cutters, cut desired shapes and number of cookies and place on cookie sheet.
- Prick the cookies all over with a fork. The holes allow the steam to escape and the crust will bake evenly with fewer bubbles.
- Bake the cookies until the edges are golden brown, about 12-16 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately move to a wire rack to cook.
FOR THE CARAMEL LAYER:
- Melt the caramel and milk over low heat in a small saucepan – this takes about 10 minutes. Spread the caramel evenly over each cookie and place in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to chill and firm up.
FOR THE CHOCOLATE LAYER:
- After the caramel layer has chilled, melt the chocolate in the microwave or a double boiler and drizzle on top of the caramel.
- Before the chocolate sets, sprinkle on pecans and then place in the fridge for about 5 minutes to let the chocolate set.
What are your favorite desserts to make? Have you ever taken a recipe and tweaked it for your own spin and pleasure?