Peach hand pies are a classic southern treat around here. Normally you fry them, but this time around, I decided to try my hand at baking some and they turned out phenomenal! Check out this recipe for baked peach hand pies below.
I am a Southern girl at heart and I do love me some hand pies! One of my most popular recipes on the blog are these Fried Apple Pies that we have been making for YEARS!
Since the peaches are in abundance right now, I decided to try my hand at making peach hand pies. Instead of frying them, I chose to bake them instead and they really turned out delicious.
A few weeks back, I entered a contest for 1/2 bushel of freestone peaches — and guess what? I won!
Freestone peaches are my favorite. They have THE BEST taste and I love that the pit in the center comes out easy without any problem.
How to Make Baked Peach Hand Pies
You are going to make the peach filling first. You’ll need 4-5 fresh freestone peaches. You are going to peel them and then cut them into chunks. I just love the look of fresh peaches, don't you?
In a large skillet over medium-high heat melt the butter. Add all the diced peaches, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, and then sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of cornstarch over the top.
Stir until well combined. If you want your sauce to be thicker, then just add a little more cornstarch.
You are going to stir and heat until the sauce is thickened and the peaches are tender but not mushy.
Now, just remove the peaches from the stovetop, and let the mixture cool. While the filling cools you can make a homemade crust. If you are not comfortable making a crust, you can use storebought pie crust.
Now for the Crust
Okay — I cheated this time and used store bought pie crust. You can make a homemade crust from scratch if you want, but the store-bought one works just fine and cuts out some extra work for you.
Now, use a 4 inch biscuit cutter to cut rounds out. I bought these biscuit cutters on Amazon and they work perfectly.
Then, add a good dollop of your peach mixture on top.
Use water to wet the edges and place another round on top of that. Then take a fork and crimp the edges.
Make sure to vent the top by cutting a slit in it.
Now, use an egg and create an egg wash for the top. Then sprinkle on some sugar and place them on a silicone baking mat.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Once they come out, let them cool before eating because the filling will be super hot!
The combination of fresh peaches with hints of sweet brown sugar and cinnamon are pure heaven. You can thank me later!
If you need to use up some peaches, this is definitely the way to go!
Looking for other peach recipes? Check these out!
For the filling
- 4-5 large fresh peaches, peeled, pitted, and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2-3 Tablespoons of Corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
For the crust
- recipe for homemade crust or just a box of store-bought crust.
For the egg wash
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of water
- sugar for sprinkling
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat melt butter. Also, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add prepared peaches, brown sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Stir until well combined.
- Sprinkle corn starch over peaches, continue stirring until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Take the crust out of the box and roll each pie piece out. Use a 4-inch biscuit cutter and cut enough rounds to make 6-8 hand pies.
- Place a heaping 2 tablespoons of fresh peach filling in the center of each individual round. Brush the edges with water.
- Place another round on top and then press down around the edges with your finger. Finish the edges using a fork to press all the way around the hand pie. Place a small slit into the top of each hand pie to let the steam release.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat.
- To make the egg wash, combine the egg and the water and mix with a fork until egg is beaten well. Brush over hand pies and then sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for about 25 minutes or until the pies are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow them to cool before handling or eating.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 138Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 57mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 2g