A baked sweet potato topped with flavorful bbq chicken and then sprinkled with green onions and feta cheese. These are simply some of my absolute favorite potatoes right now. This is the perfect recipe to kick off National BBQ Month with!
These potatoes call for just 4 main ingredients, and couldn't be easier to prepare. These are also great for trying to stay on track with your healthy eating (which I am a huge fan of doing right now).
How to make BBQ Chicken Stuffed Baked Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are roasted until tender on the inside and super crunchy on the outside, then busted open, stuffed with shredded BBQ chicken and extra sharp cheddar cheese, then sprinkled with the toppings of your choice.
I went with diced red onion, feta cheese, and freshly chopped cilantro. The combination of sweet potato and BBQ sauce, the tang of that extra sharp cheese, spicy onion, pickled peppers(optional), and savory cilantro is a match made in Heaven and made me a very happy camper.
Toss scrubbed sweet potatoes into the oven to bake for an hour. About 10-15 minutes before they’re done, saute a couple chicken breasts with my yummy Paula Deen House Seasoning then shred and mix with BBQ sauce. Stuff the sweet potatoes with the chicken then add cheese, broil, and sprinkle with toppings. Presto = stuffed sweet potatoes!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees then pierce sweet potatoes several times with a fork.
- Line a baking sheet with foil then place a cooling rack on top, and then place the sweet potatoes on top of the cooling rack. Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a knife can be easily inserted into the center.
- When sweet potatoes have 15 minutes left, season chicken breasts with seasoned salt then saute in a large skillet until cooked through. Once cool enough to handle, shred chicken with two forks then mix with BBQ sauce to coat.
- Slice sweet potatoes in half lengthwise then use fingers to press the ends towards each other to help open them up.
- Fill the openings with shredded BBQ chicken then top with a quarter of the shredded cheese and place back onto the rack. Broil until the cheese has melted then serve with toppings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 157Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 2069mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 17g